The primary purposes of the Shop/Yard Assistant Intern position is to introduce the student to the Steel Fabrication Industry, how to be successful in an Industrial work environment and to learn about O&M Industries. The primary role is to support the other Shop/Yard Assistants and Shop/Yard Supervisor. This is typically done by keeping the shop & yard clean and organized. In addition to overall organization, this position helps stock incoming material, move it to the Fabricators, move fabricated pieces to paint and finished components onto trucks to be delivered.
Opportunities for Advancement
This is a position for students. Successful completion of this internship can lead to future job opportunities at O&M Industries.
Why Work at O&M Industries?
Founded in 1946, O&M Industries has a long-standing history of hard work and dependability. Our employees function with a team-first mentality and we focus on integrity, quality craftsmanship, and safety throughout all our operations. We are a company that enjoys finding solutions to get complicated jobs done as well as tackle challenges head-on. As a family-owned and operated business, we value long-term employees and work-life balance. Come join us and see why we love the work that we do.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Cleaning shop & yard
- Operating forklifts to deliver materials.
- Assist in loading & unloading of trucks.
- Shipping/receiving of materials and supplies.
- Assist in the loading large, specialized trucks.
- Storage of incoming materials
- Support shop personnel with material requirements on a daily basis – check and document with shop supervisors every morning/afternoon to determine upcoming material needs and support.
- Assist with the loading of counter sale items.
- Follow all safety procedures and report any safety discrepancies immediately.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds safely (required)
- Willingness and ability to receive and follow instructions (required)
- Willingness to work outside under varying weather conditions (required)
- Desire to be a strong teammate exemplifying O&M company culture (required)
- Willingness to “take on whatever is needed” (required)
- Ability to always maintain positive attitude (required)
- Enrolled in Welding, Construction or Manufacturing (preferred)
- Desire to work in steel fabrication industry after completion of CR courses (preferred)
- Valid driver’s license
- Reliable transportation to and from work
- Pass pre-employment drug screening
- Climb ladders & work at heights
- Pass a respiratory fit test
- Some overtime required, which includes occasional weekend work
- High school diploma or GED
- Wages: Hourly
- Job Type: Part-time based on school schedule